When planning an event of any size one of the first things that must be considered are the timescales that you have to work with. Some of the key questions that you need to ask yourself are:
- What is the date of the Community Games?
- How much time do I need to prepare?
- Which individual tasks need to be completed and by when?
- Which tasks need to be completed first?
It can be difficult identifying the most important tasks. As a guide it is important to consider the following as these are most relevant at the beginning:
- Forming an organising team and allocating tasks
- If required, creating and agreeing a budget for the event
- Identifying and agreeing a date for the Community Games
- Researching and booking a venue for the event
- Liaising with your local council to ensure that any necessary licences are applied for and received
Should you wish to use it, the Toolkit online appendix contains a timeline document which you can adapt for your Community Games. The timeline document is designed so it is easy to use – tasks are listed vertically and dates for completion are listed horizontally. You can then shade in sections of the spreadsheet when the relevant tasks need to be completed by. Use the headings of the Toolkit to create sections within this timeline document - an example looks like this: Use the timeline document throughout your planning and update it regularly.